St. John the Baptist Greek Orthodox Parish Cairns is dedicated to spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ as the one, Holy and Catholic and Apostolic Church.
The Church shall seek to fulfill its mission by:
- Embracing the Spiritual Life of the Orthodox Church through regular prayer, worship and frequent participation in the sacraments.
- Supporting the Church through stewardship of time and talent and sacrificial giving.
- Providing a welcoming, caring, loving environment.
- Having its members exemplify Orthodox Christian character and morals.
- Supporting ministries that facilitate the overall mission of the Church.
- Exemplifying commitment to community service and charitable outreach.
- Creating an environment which encourages members to
- grow in their faith.
May God Bless you and give you strength.
On the 31st May 1993 His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos inaugurated the Greek Orthodox Parish of Cairns.
With the guidance and support of the Archdiocese, the tireless efforts of our parishioners and the support of the broader community, the Greek Orthodox Parish of Cairns established a Church in the Cairns suburb of Redlynch. On the 25th of September 1994 His Eminence Archbishop Stylianos officially opened and blessed our new holy church of “St John the Baptist”. His Eminence declared “that the Parish of St John would not only serve the needs of its own parishioners but would serve the wider community”.
Gathering momentum, the Parish then established St John’s Community Care in 1997. St John’s Community Care is a community-based organisation, and is playing a major role in community care in Far North Queensland. St John’s Community Care provides high quality client orientated, community focused Aged Care and Disability Support services striving to achieve the best possible outcomes not only for clients but also providing support and respite for their carers.